Legendary fashion designer Tom Ford once said, “dressing well is a form of good manners.” How does that apply to the office? Here are 5 tips for putting your best fashion foot forward in the workplace:
- Dress for the job you want, not the job you have. Want to be a manager someday? Take note of how members of leadership are dressed, and then emulate their style.
- HON headquarters is in Muscatine, IA. With winter fast approaching and temperatures in single digits, dressing for the season is a must. In Iowa, this usually means adding fun accessories to your wardrobe, such as a scarf, and wearing stylish yet practical footwear. Be mindful of the weather and dress accordingly – no matter where you live.
- When in doubt, overdress. After all, you never know when you’ll be pulled into a meeting with leadership wishing you’d put more effort into your appearance. Your self confidence will get a boost just knowing that you look great.
- On that note – be conservative. Being noticed for your work ethic and overall poise is good; being noticed for your flashy clothes is not. Stick with classic lines and colors to be noticed in the right way.
- But, don’t be afraid to infuse your own style and personality into your outfit when appropriate. A funky pattern or statement piece can strike up a conversation and show your individuality. One of the things I love about working at HON is being able to showcase my personal style every day.
What are some of your favorite fashion tips for the workplace?