Being healthy in the workplace can be challenging, especially when you feel like you don’t have the time. But it’s easy to take small steps to becoming more active in the office and motivate not only yourself, but your coworkers as well – creating a more positive work environment.
Do it Together
Teaming up with the people around you can be a great way to stay motivated. Schedule a walking meeting and chat with a team member while you take a lap around the building. Request that healthy substitutes be added to your vending machines. Join a fitness class with your coworkers or inquire about any gym membership perks or fitness classes offered through your company. For example, The HON Company is now offering a free Dance Fitness class for members in the evening and uses space in one of the manufacturing facilities to host the class.
Skip the Snacks
Pink sprinkles, smooth frosting, fluffy filling, sugary dough. The aroma of a freshly baked donut seems to have drifted past your desk. It’s not unusual for HON members to celebrate a birthday or a team success with yummy treats around the office. It is okay to give in once in a while, but in moderation. It’s always a good idea to keep healthy snacks, such as granola bars, fruit or nuts, close at hand in your overhead storage or HON pedestal for when you’re feeling tempted. When you eat these nutrient-packed foods instead, you’ll stay full longer and find it easier to turn down the sweets.
We are all allowed to treat ourselves to the occasional lunch out with coworkers, but waking up 10 minutes early to put together a healthy lunch and/or eat a healthy breakfast in the morning is another great way to help you avoid snacking throughout the day. To keep yourself healthy and focused during work hours, it’s also important to stay hydrated. According to the Mayo Clinic, the recommended amount of water intake is about 3 liters (13 cups) for men and 2.2 liters (9 cups) for women per day. Bring your favorite water bottle or mug and keep it at your workstation to remind you to keep drinking throughout the day. Before you know it, you won’t even realize you’re grabbing for it!
Mix Up Your Office Furniture
The right office furniture can also create a healthier work environment. From a variety of seating solutions and standing-height desks to collaborative lounge furniture, HON has products that encourage workers to get up and move around the office as they transition between different work spaces. The way your space is designed matters, too. The right layout can motivate us to be more active, even if we just make the conscious choice to walk over and talk to someone instead of sending an email.
What are your tips and tricks for a healthier workplace?
Quality is more than a word at The HON Company. It’s a promise, a commitment to upholding our decades-long dedication to manufacturing a superior product. With our new Centerpiece™ line, that commitment is once again driven home with our top-of-the-line veneer hardwoods, superior craftsmanship, and unwavering attention to detail.
Centerpiece is a classy, elegant veneer desk and table line. With layouts designed to support a variety of work styles, our newest desk line will work with you to accomplish your daily tasks. Moreover, Centerpiece is rooted in practicality. Our sit-to-stand option, working with our Coordinate™ Height Adjustable Base, makes your workstation not only functional, but centered around the way you work.
With a breadth of line that focuses on the office suite essentials, Centerpiece boasts a collaborative yet classic design. A broad range of storage options makes cluttered workspaces a thing of the past with clean lines and effective organization front and center. Furthermore, Centerpiece offers multiple table designs and leg options for optimal productivity away from the desk or private office.
Centerpiece comes with a variety of power options to make this stunning desk line a player for all your technological needs. To polish off its well-rounded details, eight finish selections are available from our classic Mahogany to our sought after Pinnacle.
Centerpiece opened for orders on December 12th and is poised to become a fixture in the Veneer market. To customize your work environment to compliment your work style, visit the Centerpiece spotlight page today!
Wouldn’t you love the option to sit or stand throughout your work day? Introducing Directional, the new desktop device from HON that turns any 20”-30” deep worksurface into a sit-to-stand workstation! All you have to do is choose whether to sit or stand – whenever and wherever you want.
ELEVATE YOUR WORKSTYLE.
That’s right, now you can retrofit your workspace to encourage activity and promote movement throughout the day, which is vital for a healthy work style. This gives you more control over both your environment and posture throughout the day. With Directional, there’s no complicated assembly or installation instructions, and a convenient lever helps you move the platform up and down effortlessly.
ACCESSIBLE. ADAPTABLE. AFFORDABLE.
Transform your desk into an engaging and active sit-to-stand solution accessible to everyone. Directional provides plenty of adjustability so you can effortlessly choose the height that best fits you! Whether you need to accommodate a laptop, single, or dual monitor arms, each model includes a large platform for laptops and monitors and a smaller surface for the keyboard and mouse. The large platform leaves valuable space for work and personal items. The gas-assist lever makes it easy to raise and lower Directional all while keeping your items secure and safe!
As you can see there are many reasons to be excited about HON’s new sit-to-stand, the standing height solution that can help raise your work and productivity.
For more information, visit hon.com/directional.
Want to WIN Directional? Visit the HON facebook page and share our Directional cover photo by Friday, December 16, 2016 to be entered into the contest! You can view the full Terms and Conditions here.
When designing a new office or workspace, there are several questions to consider. What size desk do I need? How do I need my furniture to function? What kind of storage should I include? What fabrics or finishes will best fit my design goals? In addition to all of these important elements of office design, I always encourage customers not to forget the accessories! Here are three reasons why.
Many of today’s office design trends are focused on finding ways to encourage movement while people work. As sit-to-stand stations become more popular, monitor arms, power options, and wire management are accessories to consider incorporating. When using a monitor arm in a standing or seated workstation, for example, the user is able to easily maintain an ergonomically-friendly position as she transitions between sitting and standing throughout the workday. If you are using a standing-height desk, worksurface height power can give you power capabilities at your fingertips with a simple power module add-on. All of these accessory options can help create a healthier and more efficient workspace.
A second benefit of accessories is the ability to adapt to a smaller work environment. With a smaller footprint comes smaller worksurfaces, but in this case you can maximize your workspace by lifting the computer monitor off with a monitor arm. Not only does this accessory serve as an ergonomic solution, but it provides more room in which to work and promotes productivity!
Clearing out the clutter to create a tidier workspace minimizes distractions and allows workers to focus on the task at hand. By adding paper management, or filing storage solutions, you can instantly clear your space and clear your mind. It’s a bonus if these storage solutions are available in bright, vibrant colors that can add to your office design and keep the space full of energy.
Whether you need to improve ergonomics, maximize space, or increase organization, there are several reasons to take advantage of workplace accessories! Visit the Accessories Spotlight Page on hon.com to learn more.
Recently, the HON product team asked me to test out a new Height Adjustable Table (HAT). It can adjust to any height from 23 1/2”-51 ½” (including my worksurface) and allows me the flexibility I need for maximum productivity.
Here are a few reasons why I especially love my new height adjustable workspace:
1. Get a move on. I’m an energetic person and my HAT allows me to work off excess energy. I have a tendency to talk with my hands and move around while on the phone. My worksurface adjusts to give me the space I need when I stand for long, involved phone calls.
2. Collaboration Station. Accommodating visitors is much easier at a standing height vs. sitting. Guests can walk right up to my desk and be at my height. They can even put their laptop on my desk so we can share information right away – avoiding the challenge of trying to work together from different heights.
3. Change it up. The Height Adjustable Table allows me to be flexible and change up my work style depending on my mood. When I need to get serious, heads-down work done, I can sit and focus. When I need to be cheerful and high energy, standing height works great.
If you currently use a Height Adjustable Table in your workstation, what are some of your favorite features?
In Iowa, mid-summer brings exciting, inviting, sunny, fun, fried-food-filled fairs. At HON, this mid-summer is bringing some hot new updates. Let’s take a walk through HON’s “furniture fair” and see “what’s hot with HON”:
- Sit to Stand Solutions: Whether it’s our new Height Adjustable Tables or our new 10500 Series standing height desk shells, a standing workstation has never been easier or more cost effective.
- New Fabric Offering: HON has ramped up its selection of fabrics and finishes by adding 4 new graded-in fabric cards with Momentum Textiles (Color Card, Vision, Perspectives, Performance) as well as the CF Stinson Reliance 2 card. All of our available fabrics and finishes can be found on hon.com or by downloading HON’s Digital Swatch Card Binder.
- New Laminates: Open for orders now, we have 3 new laminate options: Pinnacle, Mocha, and Cognac!
- 10500 Series™ Refresh: Our popular 10500 Series laminate desks have been updated to fit in the contemporary workspace. Open o-legs on worksurfaces and new storage capabilities, including the work wall, are just a few of the new solutions available.
- Healthcare: HON introduced its new Soothe® collection in April, offering a complete solution designed specifically for the healthcare environment. From patient recliners to guest seating, Soothe maximizes comfort along the patient’s road to recovery, enhances functionality for the caregiver and provides the versatility necessary to deliver a higher level of care. Learn more about the unique features on the Soothe patient recliner and other healthcare furniture solutions from HON.
What has been your favorite new product or update from HON recently?
Fight the 2 o’clock, post-lunch fatigue with these 5 energizing stretches that you can easily do at your workspace without having to throw down a downward dog or another yoga pose in the middle of your office.
- Take a Lap: No, I didn’t say nap – lap. It’s recommended to get up and walk around for at least 5 minutes every hour. So, go refill your water, say hello to a coworker, or just take a walk around your department.
- Shoulder & Upper Arm Stretch: This is one of my favorite stretches. You may not realize how much proper posture has depleted over the course of an hour, so stretch out your back and re-adjust.
- Neck Roll: You may be holding more tension in your neck than you think. Slowly roll your neck from side to side and front to back.
- Flex those Digits: Give yourself a quick hand massage because, let’s face it, most of our day is spent on the computer typing and clicking. Don’t overlook those little speed racers.
- Ankle Rolls: This may sound silly, but it’s a sneaky way to wake up your legs. And you can do it under the privacy of your desk!
*Bonus Stretch: Do you have a height adjustable worksurface? If so, lucky you! You can stretch whenever you like. Don’t have a height adjustable worksurface? Never fear! HON is here with our new Height Adjustable Tables. Finally, a workspace that moves with you.
Ready. Set. Stretch! What helps re-energize you during the work day?