What do Diana Ross, Michael Douglas, Stockard Channing, George Lucas, Danny DeVito, and HON all have in common? They all turn 70 this year!
With World War II drawing to a close, our founder C. Maxwell Stanley foresaw a post-war housing boom. He had the idea to start a manufacturing company that would put returning G.I.s to work making steel kitchen cabinets for use in new homes. He invited his brother-in-law, Clement T. Hanson, a successful advertising executive, and H. Wood Miller, an industrial designer, to go into business with him. They called their business “Home-O-Nize,” and they incorporated in 1944.
Before we fast forward 70 years later, let’s take a quick look back at 1944 (it turns out we were in good company!):
- #1 Song: “Swinging on a Star” by Bing Crosby
- Best Picture at the 16th Academy Awards®: Casablanca
- #1 Book: A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
- TIME Magazine® Man of the Year: Dwight D. Eisenhower
- Famous Entertainers: Rita Hayworth, Lauren Bacall, Fred Astaire, Humphrey Bogart, Clark Gable, Bob Hope, Katharine Hepburn, etc.
- Famous Musicians: Benny Goodman, The Andrews Sisters, Frank Miller, Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, etc.
- World Series Champions: St. Louis Cardinals
- NFL Champions: Green Bay Packers
- Wildly popular board game, Clue®, is born!
- U.S. Forest Service creates its beloved Smokey Bear
- Franklin D. Roosevelt seeks his 4th term in office
12 Presidents, 7 decades, and only 3 logo changes later – we’ve certainly come a long way. A philosophy of fairness, honesty, integrity, and respect have made us a leader in workplace furniture. Every moment is an opportunity to build momentum. We’ve seized each and every one to build a legacy you can be proud of and to prepare for a future that keeps getting brighter. HON is ready.
Cheers to another 70 years, and happy birthday to those that share our birthday year!